There may be warning signs that could indicate when a person is crossing the line from the fun of social gambling to the pain of problem gambling.
The following are warning signs that may indicate when a person is crossing the line from the fun of social gambling to the pain of problem gambling. These include:
- Losing time from work or school due to gambling
- Repeated failed attempts to stop or control the gambling
- Lying about the amount of time and money spent on gambling
- Gambling to escape from life's problems
- Gambling for increasing amounts of time or with increasing amounts of money
- Gambling more money in an attempt to win back losses (chasing)
- Neglecting the care of one's self or family due to gambling
- Relying on loans or "bailouts" from family or friends to meet financial obligations
- Feelings of helplessness and depression or thoughts of suicide
If you or a loved one are exhibiting these warning signs, click here for information on where to get help.
Source: Nevada Council on Problem Gambling